Friday, September 8, 2017

My Top Reasons For Quitting Smoking

My journey into becoming a non tobacco smoker, after smoking a pack-a-day for nearly 40 years, began with these reasons.

Reason #1 - So I don't have to get up multiple times at night to go pee.
That's right, smoking increases your bladder activity, especially at night. I found this out when I went to a urologist years ago because of frequent urination and when he discovered I was a smoker he advised me that when I quit smoking, my frequent night trips to the bathroom would stop. He was right - since decreasing my smoking to almost nil for the past 68 days, I no longer get up in the middle of the night and am experiencing solid 7-8 hour sleeps. I cannot tell you the last time that happened.

Reason #2 - Wrinkles - I do not want anymore wrinkles, please and thanks!
Of course smoking causes wrinkles. It is probably the #1 reason! It also decreases Vitamin C in our bodies, a vital component to healthy skin. Smoking dries the skin, another cause of the dreaded wrinkle, especially the spider lines around my mouth and gives it a yellowish tinge - thanks, nicotine. Since my drastic reduction in smoking I have already seeing an improvement in the brightness of my skin.

Reason #3 - To be able to breathe again when climbing the hill.
I live on quite an incline of a hill and when I was regularly smoking I could barely make the trek without stopping to catch my breath and I would audibly wheeze every time. Now, although it is still quite the climb, I no longer wheeze or feel the need to stop. I know it will get easier the longer I refrain from smoking.

Reason #4 - The money I am saving.
As stated in a previous post I have saved around $700.00  from July to first week of September. A pack of smokes is not cheap - they range from $11 to $15/pack. Not hard to figure out the math. So, buying the cheapest as I did, it was costing me 333 dollars a month to smoke - a lot of moula. Now that money is going towards food and savings.

Reason #5 - To enjoy my food and gain weight.
Smoking decreases the appetite and I can attest to that. There was once upon a time that I would choose a smoke over a meal. My weight often plummeted to below 95 pounds. Since ceasing smoking, I am now a healthy 106 pounds(I am very small framed) and I love tasting my food again!

Reason #7 - It doesn't look pretty with a cigarette dangling from my mouth and I stunk.
I know that's two reasons but they kind of go together. Watching other people smoke made me realize just how unattractive that looks and, whew, the smell- did I really smell like that? Yuck!

Well that's the main reasons although there are quite a few more. They are my reminders and help me get through some really tough cravings

What's your reasons on quitting? Comment below and start a conversation!

Cheers, Sue 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Understanding Consumer Proposals

The Consumer Proposal provides  you   with  protection from your creditors while in these programs (no garnish).  This program will protect ...